Monday, June 23, 2008

Heather Yourex- future

I'm really happy right now.

Really. Happy.

There are some horrible realities about Africa and I know I have not even begun to see how dark this place can be...but when I sit in a church and listen to the booming 10 part gospel harmony with the voices of the little 10 year old boy in his shirt and tie and the 60 year old go-go (African Grandma) in her church hat coming together... I can't help it... I fall in love. The rolling hills, those sprawling trees, the fact that anyone you smile at returns a grin that just pops with joy and instantly fills you up with with this connected feeling. I feel like I live in a musical right now ... And, AND! In 2 weeks I've become one of those "huggy" people. I love Africa. I love, love, love Africa.

Yesterday I met with Lynn and Jayme. The couple from Calgary I first made contact with to come here. The two of them are living and volunteering for hands full time and are at present handling communications and marketing. My team leaves at the end of this week and this meeting has given me a better idea of where I can actually be useful.

The thing about hands at work is that its pretty grass roots. There are no paid staff... The organization is about creating programs for communities with communities and eventually handing the programs to communities. Its mandate is to provide the basic needs for 100,000 orphans by 2010 and so far Hands is in SA, DRC, Zambia, Nigeria, Swaziland and Mozambique.

Its funny... I thought I wanted to come here as a journalist or a filmmaker. Then I felt frustrated I wasn't a nurse or a construction worker. But it turns out that I can actually be useful here as I am. Hands is in need of video right now to help with fund raising and the search for volunteers.

Its an overwhelming feeling when you feel like you've found what you're looking for. This place, these people, this opportunity and just knowing that, Yes - I can do this and I can actually be of use in a way that is actually meaningful! I'm a lucky girl and right now I'm very grateful.

I'm hoping to stay until mid November and get as much done on the wish list as possible. Already July is looking incredible with trips in the works to projects in Swaziland and Mozambique. This is going to be an amazing 6 months for me!


Heather preps for her workshop

No comments: